Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Mother's Day and beyond

I meant to post about Mother's Day right away, but got a little side-tracked by the bugs. Sorry about that.
Mother's Day was not a crazy affair, but as soon as I woke up Garrett presented me with this sweet necklace.

I have been finding it hard to think of myself as a 'mom' yet. I don't have a child in this world quite yet, and I feel like I don't deserve that title. But Garrett is adamant that I am a mother and he is bound and determined to make me believe it too. He also bought me flowers the day before, which were wonderful and I loved them. Garrett was cringing at the cost of them, but he was sincere in wanting them for me. 
We went to church and got Toblerone bars and Garrett enjoyed spending time in nursery(it's his favorite place to be). Garrett got a stand-by call just as he was about to start making dinner for us, so I had to make it while he was gone, but it was just spaghetti so nothing too fancy. Luckily the job didn't take long, only about 30 minutes, unlike some of the others he had all week long. It was a rough work week for poor Garrett. 

It's been raining forever it seems, storming and down pouring almost constantly. It's been ridiculous. But my rain-boots have been extremely useful and we have been drenched more than once taking Koji for his walks. Mind, Koji has no qualms being out in the rain. In fact, I think he loves it. Which is good and bad for typhoon season. Good because it shouldn't be hard to convince him to go out. Bad because he will probably make us get blown away by taking forever. On one of our walks last week in a short break from the rain, we had an encounter with the neighbor dog who looks a lot like Koji just bigger and older looking. This dog is super friendly but does not have any idea of it's strength or personal boundaries. As Koji was running towards the field beside out house, I'm not sure if he was running from or trying to play, the other dog plowed Koji over. I'm talking, Koji rolled end over end right under the bigger dog right into the mud. It was so amusing to watch I couldn't help laugh despite how pathetic Koji looked. Garrett had to carry Koji inside and put him straight into the tub. And since we were at it, we also clipped his nails, and gave him a good brushing. He was none too thrilled, as you can tell. 

Friday we had our 16 week check up! (As of tomorrow I am 17 weeks! I can't wait to feel the flutter of my baby's first movements soon.) Garrett got to hear the heart beat for the first time since the ultrasound. I finally had doctor who was able to offer advice and reasons for why I have been in so much pain. I have had some incredible pain in the back of my left pelvic bone. We had to call our home teacher earlier in the week to come help give me a blessing. The doctor told me it could be from my hips widening and he gave me a few things that could help with the pain that was not pain medication. Monday, I was able to get a prenatal massage because I'm finally over 16 weeks! I went right after work and it was so nice! They massaged my scalp, arms, neck, back, legs, and feet! I was hoping it would help with the pain, but she couldn't really get to the spot where I needed it most. It was still a very relaxing hour. 

Sunday was a very amusing day at church. Garrett and I were helping out in nursery and in the first five minutes Garret went to sit on one of the chairs and ripped his paints from zipper to the back belt loop. I must have laughed for almost five minutes. Luckily I had a cardigan on and so I took it off and let him use it to tie around his waist 90s style. 
Luckily it was in nursery and none of the two year olds care, not to mention they love Garrett so they probably wouldn't care even if they were older. There are two in particular. One is a little boy, Rylan who happened to be sitting next to us on the plane ride over here. He just can't get enough of playing with Garrett in nursery and Sacrament when we end up sitting behind his family. The other is a little girl, Kit. We have been in nursery a few times, and we have also babysat her and I have been around her a few times doing things with her mom. She seems to be infatuated with both Garrett and I. Her parents always tell us that she talks about 'Sister Bowen and Garrett' all the time! She apparently has said I'm 'the pretty girl' and I actually stepped into their house for a minute Saturday to meet to go to this warehouse her mom loves and was showing a few of us, and her dad brought her out a few minutes later before we had left and said she had told him I had left. She is too cute. I'm going to miss her and her family when they move to Alaska this summer. 

We also got some great news this week about our oldest sister, Christina, who informed us that she was pregnant!! She is about 4 weeks behind me. She shared it with us through a story, which I hope she doesn't mind I share on here. It was super sweet and I loved it. 

Once upon a time there were a group of cousins. These cousins weren’t just cousins, but they were so close and they loved to do things together all the time. Up in Heaven they had a joyous time just playing waiting for their turns to get a body, 
for they knew and understood Heavenly Father’s plan. One day while playing four cousins decided they were ready to go to earth but they didn’t want to go down without one another. So they decided to go down as close together as they could and they did. All four came to earth within 24 days. The other cousins missed those that had left but enjoyed each other. They played and played and were well aware of what was happening below. One day three more cousins started talking about going to earth. They were ready and really didn’t want the other four to have too much fun without them so they decided to go. One jumped the gun and came to earth a little ahead of the other two but the other two followed quickly and close together. The cousins still in Heaven were happy for those that had gone before and while they wanted to receive a body and enjoy Earth, they knew it wasn’t their time. So they watched what was happening below and played and played. There finally came a time when one cousin turned to  a couple others and told them that he was ready. One of the others said that he just wasn’t ready yet. They talked and talked and the one cousin decided that he would go. Another cousin would follow a few months later and then the third would follow not too far behind. So one went, six months later another followed, and the third was just not quite ready  and waited for overa year before he finally went.  Now in the part of Heaven that all these cousins had been playing was now pretty quiet from the noises of children playing that it had had. Then one day a cousin came running to the spot where all the cousins had been playing. “Wait for me. Don’t leave me behind.” This cousin ran around looking for any cousins still in Heaven. “I wanted someone to go down with me too.” This cousin looked and looked but if there were any cousins around they must have been playing hide-and-seek, for there was no one around. The cousin was so sad and had really wanted to go down with at least one cousin because so many others had before and they were all having such a fun time on Earth whenever they got together.  As the cousin sat just sad, a hand was placed on the shoulder. “I’ll go  with you.” The cousin looked up and saw another cousin standing there. “Really, you will?” The cousin on the ground asked afraid to get any hopes up. “Sure, I am the last one left in my family and it is time that I join them.” The other cousin replied. They sat down and starting talking about all the things that they could and would do together on Earth once they had bodies of their own. They are now planning and waiting and decided that they would only be 4 weeks apart. 

Garrett and I are so thrilled for you Christina and Arik! I'm sure Brookelyn, Kira, and Aiden are beyond excited to have a baby brother or sister. Garrett says that Melanie, Brandee and Natausha just need to get pregnant too! We can't wait to see you guys in two short months! Sure love ya!

Oh, I also have one more thing to add before I finish this post off. I am excited to say, that we have found a solution for our millipede infestation! We purchased diatomaceous earth from the local all-in-one store and poured it across every doorway and windowsill last night and woke this morning to find tons of millipedes dead at our front entry and a few more dead on the back porch. I went out and swept them up after picking Garrett up from work and the ones in the front almost completely filled up my dust bin! Yikes. But I'm so glad to have been told about this stuff by a brother in our branch and find that it works so well! The great thing is, it's not chemical. It's all natural so we don't have to worry about Koji, us, or our future children being around it or walking through it. Even if our house kind of looks like we have some creepy wican or hoodoo safety dust protecting us from evil intentioned people. I promise it's just to save us from the nasty millipedes I've started finding INSIDE my house!

No comments:

Post a Comment