Sunday, December 2, 2012

Let's Play Catch Up!

Okay, I know I've been terrible at posting this last month or so, but in my defense things got really busy, we got a dog that takes a lot of attention, I got really sick, then craziness with Garrett's work Thanksgiving, then actual Thanksgiving, then our things came in, and here we are! So to recap this month really quickly, before getting on with the real reason for this post.

We started playing soccer on the 18 CES intramural soccer team! Yay! It's been fun. We've shut out two teams, and got an automatic win for the other team not having enough players. I'm the only girl on the team, and I feel grossly inadequate compared to all the others. I can definitely tell I haven't played in a while, but I'm hoping to get back into the swing of it and show off that I actually can play.


Before our hike I'm about to tell you about, Garrett used his ingenuity to get ice into our camel bak when we don't have an ice maker or ice trays. The night before, we went to McDonald's for dinner and took it home to eat. When we were done with our drinks, Garrett said we should fill them up with water and freeze them. So the next morning, we just peeled the paper cups off and slipped the ice into the camel bak!

Isn't it beautiful?!


We went on a hike to a local waterfall. We literally had to hike up the river/creek. It was a lot of fun. It was a cloudy day, but warm enough that out of the water of the falls, you weren't cold. When we made it to the base of the falls, there was a Japanese couple there and they kind of laughed with Daniel, Garrett, and I jumped in the water and were swimming around, as well as going and standing directly under the water. (I wanted to have a somewhat dry shirt for the drive home, so I decided to just swim in my sports bra) But then the woman decided to join us and came in. There were also a couple Americans that came up after we were already there. On our way back down we found another water hole that we didn't stop at on the way up, that we climbed up about 5 or 6 feet on the rocks around and jumped into it. Definitely my favorite expedition since being on island. Garrett and I enjoy fresh water so much more than ocean water. It was so refreshing and amazing, so nice not to feel gross after swimming and playing in the water.



Koji, short for Kojiro, looking all cute!

In the middle of November we got a dog! Koji is three years old, is a picky eater, loves to cuddle, but is also an escape artist. He's been adopted a few times, but none lasted more than a week. We think they adopted him, but left him by himself all day while at work. We have found that he does not like being alone in the least. I'm home with him most of the time, but when we do leave, we put him in a kennel. We left him out a couple times on his own because he was tearing up the kennel, but one time we weren't as careful putting things away to take away temptation and he chewed up our Ethernet cable and the rope on the bottom of our blinds on our back door and the weight on the moving cord. So we zip tied the bottom of the kennel so the tray can't be slid out, and took out the pad, and he's been doing pretty well, even if he still doesn't like it. He hasn't gone potty in our house once, and only has tried to run off one time. He's a little more timid around Garrett (especially when he's in uniform) but, he still cuddles up to us, jumps up on our bed at night, and seems to genuinely be starting to trust us. He doesn't play with toys, which is a little sad, but we were told if we play with the toys ourselves we can teach him how to play with them and he might start, even if it takes a few months. We love our dog, and are doing our best to help him to know that we aren't just going to let him get away and that we are in this for the long haul.

Thanksgiving was a small affair, with just Daniel, Garrett, and I. It was sort of a last minute decision to have it at our house. We deep fried a turkey, and only had a few basics for sides. I just wasn't into the spirit much this year. Maybe it was partially being my first Thanksgiving making things on my own, not having all of my kitchen accessories, or that it was last minute and I didn't feel like fighting the crowds at the commissary to get the groceries I needed. Other than the gravy turning out awful and having to make package gravy last minute; and burning the rolls because I was concentrating on trying to fix the gravy, it was a great day spent with Daniel and Garrett. We had fun and enjoyed our time together. 


We finally got our house goods! Garrett was given the day off to help get our stuff in order. They came around 0830 and probably had all our things in in about 10 trips... It was a very short move in. Garrett and I were able to unpack and set up pretty much everything that day. I only saved unpacking our clothes and our office stuff. Clothes, because we bought a dresser, but I want to refinish it and feel it would be silly to put stuff in it just to empty it in the next week or so. We've rented a drill to drill holes into our cement walls to put pictures up and this is just a preview of a finished wall(the Bowen sign is temporarily there). 



Well, we love you and wish you the best as we shift into the winter season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment